- University of Michigan
- Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Category: Admin-Other Administrative Positions
- Posting Date: 11/28/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
This will be considered a hybrid position for December-April and will have split job responsibilities. You will be responsible for clearing snow from the entranceways of buildings you are assigned to when it is necessary. When you are not performing these functions, you will be cleaning in buildings. Once April arrives, you will go back to cleaning full time.
Perform all custodial duties using our team cleaning system, including use of backpack vacuum. These are basic custodial duties including cleaning restrooms, picking up debris on floor, cleaning offices and all areas of the building.
Operate equipment used for routine maintenance work including but not limited to power washers, upholstery and carpet spot cleaning machines, and counter rotating brush carpet pile lifter.
Who We Are
Custodial Services provides cleaning services to University of Michigan administrative and academic buildings on the Ann Arbor campus. We service over 13 million square feet of floor space in over 250 buildings. Building Services employs over 400 people consisting of custodial, pest management, support, administrative and managerial staff.
Our mission is to maintain the facilities to provide a sanitary, safe and pleasant environment for the University of Michigan’s students, faculty, staff and guests.
Why Work at Michigan?
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family, and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Paid maternity and paternal leave
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and follow instructions from co-workers, supervisors, customers, and facility managers.
- Ability to wear a backpack vacuum for up to 8 hours a day.
- Ability to effectively clean/maintain areas that are located in various positions, including several feet off the floor, close to the floor, and under/around obstacles.
- Must be able to perform all duties in the job classification with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must be able to remove snow from entranceways using shovels and other tools.
Shift will be Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. with some overtime required. In April, you will be moved to a different shift (afternoons or midnights).
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations, including one booster when eligible, are required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working remotely and temporary workers. More information on this new policy is available on the U-M Health Response website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.